Re: Bug: Inconsistent behaviour about inline markup

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Bug: Inconsistent behaviour about inline markup
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 10:31:05 +0000

<c.buhtz@posteo.jp> writes:

> But please take this also as a BugReport (because there seems to be no
> regular bug tracker for orgmode). I see no need to restrict the allowed
> characters that way they are. PRE and POST should be the same.
> The only one exception is [ for POST because I suspect this isn't
> implementable via RegEx or would interfere with parsing of links.

The aim of limited PRE and POST is allowing dwim literal "*" in ordinary
text where users do not really intend to use emphasis.

The current approach is probably not ideal, but making changes to regexp
raises the risk of breaking existing Org documents that worked in the
past but may not because emphasis will be incorrectly recognized after
changing the syntax.

Any changes in this area should be done with caution.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,