Re: [FR] Allow end date and max repeat count for timestamps with repeate

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [FR] Allow end date and max repeat count for timestamps with repeaters (was: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda)
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 13:45:23 +0000

> On 1/14/23, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
>> However, I do not see why we cannot implement them within the current
>> Org timestamp syntax:
>
> my concern would be personal code and 3rd-party packages, which might
> have their own peculiar parsing.

I proposed a single slight change in timestamp syntax:

<2023-01-14 Sat +1w/5x>

However, it is almost the same with what we have for habits:

<2023-01-14 Sat +1w/2w>

I do not see how things are going to break even if third-party packages
use some home-grown parsers.

> if otoh org provides really good api that can even do that, then i
> suppose you could tell those devs to use that api.

`org-get-repeat', `org-get-wdays', and `org-element-timestamp-parser'.

> also my personal preference is for less new org syntax.  which is one
> reason why i like cl-style sexp kw for future features and
> subfeatures.  syntax can be hard to look up in the org manual, hard to
> remember, etc.  but that's mho.

My proposal is as little new syntax as I was able to come up with.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,