Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 14:07:04 +0000

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> Unfortunately, the common abbreviated forms like EST, AEST etc are
> inconsistent here. Some places will have a standard and a daylight
> savings type i.e. AEST and AEDT, while others will have just AEST. TO
> make it worse, two locations with the same time zone offset my use
> different versions i.e. Australia/Melbourn is AEST (+10/+11) and
> Australia/Sydney is AEST (+10) and AEDT (+11) and Australia/Brisbane is
> just AEST (+10). If everywhere which has daylight savings ensured they
> used a different abbreviation for daylight saving and non-daylight
> saving times, life would be easier, but they don't). Then of course
> there are many countries which don't have a symbolic letter abbreviation
> i.e. just have e.g -05 as their abbreviated TZ name.
>
> It is this and other related reasons why just relying on Emacs' internal
> API for times and dates is not sufficient. The abbreviated times have
> ambiguity and the full timezone specification is cumbersome and
> ugly. Even worse is that issue won't be shown up as failures - you will
> just silently get wrong results.

So, basically we may need a way to (1) identify ambiguous TZ
specifications; (2) signal to user about potential issues.

Note that these are also optional features we may implement any time
once we have basic timezone support.

For (2) we may use something similar to `world-clock' - display user
timestamp at point for different time zones. Maybe via eldoc.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,