Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 22:52:21 +0300

* Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> [2023-01-14 20:08]:
> > When you have appointments with people in totally diverse time zones,
> > perhaps dates tend to be more fixed wrt UTC.
>
> AFAIK, people don't usually bother.

Can't agree to that, we who do bother will simply find different
solutions but Org, like I have developed it for myself or other CRM
systems where all time issues are solved fundamentally on the database
level.

Haven thanks, it is very easy within seconds to find how many people
are affected by time zones, so I have run

"SELECT DISTINCT get_contacts_name(hyobjects_assignedperson) FROM
hyobjects WHERE hyobjects_assignedperson IS NOT NULL;"

And I got round number of 50 people!

All our staff members used Org mode before, now not, there is no need
for it, apart from few lines, or generated Org buffers for usage
similar like browsing. And this is only for reasons of having fancier
themes.

You can't know if people bother if you do not ask.

Yes, I feel that it is not considerate enough when you say that people
don't usually bother.

When I expressed my on this mailing list that there are issues, that
was back in time, and I would consider any issue here mentioned ever
once, that "people do bother".

In media and newspaper business, we know that when there is one
reader's letter, that there are 1000 other people who have the same
opinion. Maybe statistics changed, but you should use that principle
on mailing list and in any community software development. One person
writing on mailing list may mean hundreds affected in background.

I can observe on other development places that people raise issue
before 10 years, before 8 years, until it finally gets solved, and the
package get its boost because it became really useful.

All the people who were direct and indirect users of Org mode since
2016, switched to different system. They are not bothered to learn
about Org, which is useful as it minimizes distraction. Though Org
mode remains useful in work of managers.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman