Re: org-todo-keywords and task sequence

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-todo-keywords and task sequence
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 10:56:32 +0000

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm not sure I understand 'sequence' and 'type' in org-todo-keywords.
> In particular, I can only think of the following simple sequence as
> being possible in org-todo-keywords:
>
> TODO -> IN-PROCESS -> DONE
>
> If I want to add in (say) WAITING, the graph (represented as a table)
> becomes:
>
> i\o  | TODO | IN-P | WAIT | DONE
> TODO |  N   |  Y   |  N   |  N
> IN-P |  N   |  N   |  Y   |  Y
> WAIT |  N   |  Y   |  N   |  N
> DONE |  N   |  N   |  N   |  N

The main purpose of the keyword sequences is working on tasks in steps.
When a keyword is a part of sequence, you can just use S-<right>
S-<left> to progress the task. For example:

NEXT -> DOING -> REVIEW -> DONE

Such sequence is only making sense when everything goes "as usual" with
a task and you do not want to think about which keyword to assign.

The transition IN-PROGRESS -> WAIT is something you have to decide
consciously. Org cannot just read you mind and change IN-PROGRESS to
WAIT. You will have set such transition manually.

For your table, you can try something like

#+TODO: WAIT IN-PROCESS
#+TODO: TODO IN-PROCESS | DONE

Note, however, that moving S-<left> will be ambiguous.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,