Re: Thoughts on this ob language generator

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Thoughts on this ob language generator
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 12:11:44 +0000

George Mauer <gmauer@gmail.com> writes:

> I had a need the other day to execute some typescript in an org document.
> Now I know that there's an ob-typescript package but that doesn't quite
> work the way I want and expects typescript to be installed globally (which
> runs into a variety of versioning issues).
>
> There is a better option available with the `npx` program (installed
> alongside `npm`) which can install a package along with its dependencies
> into a temporary sandbox and run its binaries.
>
> I rewrote the typescript babel plugin to do this and then realized that
> there was relatively little in it beyond variable and function names that
> was typescript-specific. The exact same process can be used for anything
> that has an interpreter up on npm. Coffeescript, mermaidjs, all sorts of
> things.
>
> So I made a macro. I'm interested what people here think:
> https://github.com/togakangaroo/create-ob-npx

I'd say that the problem you are trying to solve is similar to what
ob-shell.el does. And it does it similarly, modulo common shell syntax.

More generally, generic backends like ob-shell or what you are proposing
are a subset of "take the code block, save it to file, and pass the file
to be executed by a CLI command".

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,