Re: One of my Org files hangs Emacs

From: Richard Kim
Subject: Re: One of my Org files hangs Emacs
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 20:11:45 -0800

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> so I have a bunch of Org files, most of them pretty big (over 1
>> megabyte), and one of them repeatedly causes my Emacsa to hang.
>> Sometimes a plain `C-g' helps, sometimes I need to kill the Emacs
>> process.  How do I even begin to find out what happens?  Any hints?
>
> 1. Set debug-on-quit to t and study the backtrace you get after C-g
> 2. Set debug-on-error to t, send SIGUSR2 signal to Emacs and study the
> backtrace
> 3. Run emacs -Q only loading the Org version you use and try to
>    reproduce. If you can, this is a bug in Org. If you can't, bisect
>    your config to identify the cause (there is a helper bug-hunter
>    package to assist; it can be used for manual reproduction as well)

I would suggest disabling "org persist" which has caused so much grief for me.

(setq org-element-cache-persistent nil)

Prior to me adding above line, I would get mysterious hangs, and all
kinds of frequent errors.  I tried debug-on-quit and debug-on-error, but
this "org persist" thing was impossible to debug.