Re: Make org-paste-subtree more predictable and useful

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Make org-paste-subtree more predictable and useful
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 09:44:30 +0000

Philipp Kiefer <phil.kiefer@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for addressing my concern, Ihor.
>
> So I can force same-level yank by navigating to the beginning of the
> current headline before calling org-paste-subtree, I see. However, I
> still do not see a way to force it to paste one level below the current
> headline, i. e. to add the trees on the clipboard as child-subtrees or
> the current heading.
>
> My best bet currently is probably to create a blank child heading, add
> some text (there seems to be a glitch turning the blank heading into an
> empty line when pasting with point on the blank dummy heading when it
> has no text), go back to the beginning of the line, then paste the
> subtrees at the level of the dummy heading, navigate back to the dummy
> heading and delete it. I'd really rather not have to do all that to
> achieve my simple goal of pasting subtrees at child level.

Just paste the subtree and press C-S-<right> to demote it immediately.
It would not save you many keystrokes if there was yet another prefix
argument.

> As for the claim that the current procedure "makes sure that the subtree
> remains an independent subtree and does not swallow low level entries.",
> either I don't understand it or it isn't true. If I have a level 2
> heading below which is a level 5 heading and I paste subtrees with point
> on the level 2 heading, the level 5 heading is subsumed under the last
> subtree yanked from the clipboard in all cases.

Sorry, but I cannot reproduce.
Could you please provide detailed instructions about what you did?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,