Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 17:37:52 +0300

* Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> [2023-01-19 13:43]:
> So, we should let the user specify time zone to be used for export.
> Then, when sending an email, you can export the heading to text/html and
> Org will set the target time zone as requested.

Exactly.

Follow the iCalendar export option TIMEZONE. Why did author insist on it?

(info "(org) iCalendar Export")

>    The iCalendar export back-end includes ‘SUMMARY’, ‘DESCRIPTION’,
> ‘LOCATION’, ‘TIMEZONE’ and ‘CLASS’ properties from the Org entries when
> exporting.  To force the back-end to inherit the ‘LOCATION’, ‘TIMEZONE’
> and ‘CLASS’ properties, configure the ‘org-use-property-inheritance’
> variable.

When exporting file or not exporting, the recipient may receive the
file and be in different time zone. If file has no time zone property,
then user in different time zone cannot know what time is being talked
about.

That means that function of sending appointments (headings or TODO
tasks) should embed timezone property in such heading. Or the function
that exports Org file shall embed something like #+TIMEZONE: PST in
the Org file, or at least ask user, or allow such exports by
customized functions.

And all stamps like "Created: " in HTML shall get its time zone,
because without it, time remains ambigous, and also in probably 98%
cases wrong. Why display wrong time? If it is for user only, that is
fine, but if HTML is published on web server for others, the time has
significance.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns