Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)

From: AW
Subject: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 22:32:47 +0100

Hi!

Workflow: E-Mails with a question comes in, I open a TODO heading in an orgmode
file regarding the question.

Now, I'd like to add a link to the E-Mail under this TODO heading in the
orgmode file. I've seen the manual page about external links, https://
orgmode.org/manual/External-Links.html

I'm on Linux, KDE as GUI, distro Tumbleweed by openSUSE. The E-mail software
is kmail. Unfortunately, there is no way to get the path to an individual E-
mail out of kmail, which I could simply use to put it into my orgmode file as a
link.

So I installed notmuchmail and the emacs package notmuch.el. Works. By
notmuch-search I can find an individual E-mail. In the E-Mail buffer I type
c I , which copies the message-ID of that E-Mail into the keyring.

Instead of a link I paste the message-ID into my orgmode file. If I'd like to
read the E-Mail again, I can use notmuch-search: id: <abc123> to find the E-
Mail again.

I know, this is not a really efficient way. Probably you are not surprised to
read my question:

How can I have a link in an orgmode file to an E-Mail using either a feature of
kmail oder notmuch ?

Regards,

Alexander