Re: [BUG] ob-shell doesn't evaluate last line on Windows (cmd/cmdproxy)

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] ob-shell doesn't evaluate last line on Windows (cmd/cmdproxy) [9.6.1 ( @ c:/Users/Osher/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.6.1/)]
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 11:42:41 +0000

Matt <matt@excalamus.com> writes:

>  ---- On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 04:27:18 -0500  Ihor Radchenko  wrote ---
>  > I think `org-babel--shell-command-on-region' will be more appropriate.
>  > Because similar issues might appear when attempting to evaluate other
>  > code blocks on Windows, where `shell-file-name' is set to cmdproxy.exe.
>  >
>  > It will also be useful to leave a comment in the code explaining why we
>  > need this newline.
>
> Works for me.
>
> How should I update bugfix to match main?  Since we're considering
> this a bug, I figured I'd do this on bugfix.

bugfix is only for trivial and critical bugs.
Non-trivial yet non-critical should not be on bugfix.
They are for the next minor release.
See https://orgmode.org/worg/org-maintenance.html#branches

> I notice, however, that bugfix doesn't have the latest updates to
> test-ob-shell.  When I rebase main onto bugfix I get a ton of conflicts.  If
> I instead merge main into bugfix, that shows many merge commits with bugfix.
> Since I don't see any "Merge with 'bugfix'" commits on bugfix currently, I
> assume that's not the way to do it.

You must not merge main onto bugfix.
Such merge is called release :)

Can you fix the bug on bugfix? If yes, do it on bugfix and then merge
bugfix onto main. If no, just fix it on main - this appears to be an old
bug that existed for a long time, and we may as well postpone it to the
next minor release and not risk breaking bugfix branch with non-trivial
changes.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,