Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 18:46:38 +0700

On 23/01/2023 01:47, AW wrote:
We could support mid: is the corresponding url schema existed and
supported by various OSes.
Isn't this rather important? How many users of orgmode get TODOs via E-Mail
and need an efficient way to come back from the TODO to its origin?

I agree that linking mail messages and Org notes is important. On the other hand my impression is that the "mid:" URI protocol is not adopted wide enough by mail user agents yet, so it is too early to enable it by default in Org.

Configuring of "mid:" links requires just a few lines in init.el and they are quite usual for custom links.

Alexander, you have tried 2 mail application and it seems neither of them supports "mid:" links out of the box. Notmuch looks almost ready, it needs just a .desktop file and configuring `browse-url-handlers' on activation. Have you checked if kmail bug tracker has a feature request for "mid:" links? I am not sure that KDE bug trackers are indexed by search engines.

From the blog post by Karl Voit I have an impression that developers of Evolution do not follow RFC since posted command example contains angle brackets (mid:<...@...>). Such format causes "not found" error in Thunderbird.