Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)

From: AW
Subject: Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 14:55:32 +0100

Am Montag, 23. Januar 2023, 11:40:24 CET schrieb Ihor Radchenko:
> AW <alexander.willand@t-online.de> writes:
> >> We could support mid: is the corresponding url schema existed and
> >> supported by various OSes.
> >
> > Isn't this rather important? How many users of orgmode get TODOs via
> > E-Mail
> > and need an efficient way to come back from the TODO to its origin?
>
> It is not up to Org. Try
>
>  (browse-url "mid:3218434.44csPzL39Z@linux.fritz.box")
>
> You will likely see nothing.

Well, M-x  (browse-url "mid:3218434.44csPzL39Z@linux.fritz.box")
produces [No match].

> So, while Org may provide some limited help with mid:, as Max suggested,
> there is no way to guarantee that mid: links will work for all users
> without users hand-customizing how to open emails.
>
> I am not even sure if we need to make Org open mid: links via
> `browse-url'. Maybe it should be something else? IDK.

This is weird since ever. I've been talking to some collegues and everybody
has his/her own special approach. Mostly producing a PDF from the E-Mail and
saving this and its attachments somewhere. That's a thing that bothered me for
decades.

--
Regards,

Alexander