Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 09:40:30 +0000

AW <alexander.willand@t-online.de> writes:

>> It is not up to Org. Try
>>
>>  (browse-url "mid:3218434.44csPzL39Z@linux.fritz.box")
>>
>> You will likely see nothing.
>
> Well, M-x  (browse-url "mid:3218434.44csPzL39Z@linux.fritz.box")
> produces [No match].

This is not a command.
You need M-: (...

>> So, while Org may provide some limited help with mid:, as Max suggested,
>> there is no way to guarantee that mid: links will work for all users
>> without users hand-customizing how to open emails.
>>
>> I am not even sure if we need to make Org open mid: links via
>> `browse-url'. Maybe it should be something else? IDK.
>
> This is weird since ever. I've been talking to some collegues and everybody
> has his/her own special approach. Mostly producing a PDF from the E-Mail and
> saving this and its attachments somewhere. That's a thing that bothered me
> for
> decades.

Well. The more widely used standard is Maildir - downloading emails from
server to local machine. Emails are just files there that can be indexed
by variety of mail client software.

The main question is which email clients actually support mid: links.
notmuch does, but in non-standard way, without doing it system-wide.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,