Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 21:14:03 +0300

* Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> [2023-01-24 18:52]:
> > I am mostly concerned that channelling mid: links to browse-url will not
> > work (open empty page in browser) in most cases. This is more confusing
> > than not having mid: link handler at all.
>
> For me it may be a reason to not enable to enable "mid:" links by default,
> but I am still considering `browse-url' as the proper handler.

You should neither enable, neither disable opening of any links on the
Org level except maybe Emacs Lisp links.

Otherwise let users enable or disable what they want.

> Code to determine handler is platform-specific, e.g. for Linux
>
> xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/mid
> xdg-settings get default-url-scheme-handler mid
>
> The latter actually calls the former. I would avoid both variants during
> load time.
>
> If you get browser fallback then you are advanced enough user to avoid a DE.
> Gnome shows application selection dialog, KDE throws an error
> window.

Let users open Hyperlinks with any browser or function how they want.

I am aware that Org has that mixed hyperlink types as explained in:

(info "(org) External Links")

and when I say "mixed" it does not support the expected standard of
URI Schemes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_URI_schemes) as it
introduces various Org related hyperlinks.

At this point, after so many years, nobody recognizes that such
capricious single user decision does not scale well for broad public.

And now because all the users are entangled using non-standard URI
schemes, it is very hard to switch, as it would break compatibility.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman