Re: Should Org provide commonly used link types?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Should Org provide commonly used link types?
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 18:15:10 +0000

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

>> Suggestions welcome
>
> Main suggestion would be to make interface for users to easy setup
> those hyperlinks.
>
> If user is supposed to adapt mind to programmer by setting this horror:
> (info "(org) Adding Hyperlink Types")
> that leads nowhere. Forget about "usability".

I am sorry, but what can be simpler than

     (org-link-set-parameters "man" :follow #'org-man-open)

?

At least, when we only consider Elisp interface.

> Customize interface is much better.
>
> How about this in customize?
>
> - prefix: pdf
> - format %s&%s
> - function to run: open-pdf

org-link-parameters

We can improve custom type definition there, but otherwise we do provide
customize interface.

> I am changing my mind, now I really think that it is better you hard
> code those hyperlinks in Org as you said, that way you will get
> functionality that users can still choose but need not be bothered by
> programming.

[ Some of the suggestions have been discussed in the past - we do not
  oppose including more built-in link types. Patches are welcome. ]

So, the suggested links are:
1. pdf + page
2. video/audio + timestamp
3. epub/djvu/mibi + page

Note that all these are basically file: links. While we can make users
say pdf:... or video:..., or would be more convenient to extend file:
link instead. Max pointed to experimental proof-of-concept code for pdf
+ page in another email.

> Message-ID, should support FOLDER+Message-ID

I am not sure here. How can we utilize FOLDER? It depend on the kind of
external application or Emacs package we use to open the link.

> Is it possible to support Emacs bookmarks as hyperlinks? I would
> include that.

There is ol-bookmarks package distributed as a part of org-contrib.
Someone with copyright assignment may take a look and re-implement it.

> Geo location shall be supported, as it has already many handlers in
> GNU/Linux, then GPX files, GeoJSON files

Are there any? I only know web handlers. I did search at some point.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,