Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 08:41:50 +0000

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

>> Try to derive list of supported schemes from `browse-url-handlers'.
>
> browse-url-handlers ➜ (("gemini:" . elpher-go) ("gopher:"
> . elpher-handler-go) ("about:" . hyperscope-about) ("hyperscope:"
> . hyperscope-url) ("e2dk://" . amule-handler))
>
> it is user option to be customized.
>
> It is obvious that my idea that URL schemes should be unified may be
> reasonable, but there is not enough programming functionality in Emacs
> to allow it to be very deterministic. And thus Org has to make it's
> own URL handling. That is how I understand, correct me if this is
> wrong.

Kind of. `browse-url-handlers' may have predicate as a function. Then,
or may need to run all the predicates any time we need to know if given
url-looking string is a link or not and what type of link. Considering
that such information is needed, among other times, during
fontification, I doubt that we can practically support
`browse-url-handlers'. Or we can make Org unusable.

`browse-url-handlers' is designed in a way that is to be used on demand
only - when the user issues an interactive command.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,