[BUG] org-manual: Using bookmarklet for org-capture is no longer reliabl

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: [BUG] org-manual: Using bookmarklet for org-capture is no longer reliable (was: Firefox permission dialog and org-protocol)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 14:59:36 +0000

 To summarize, I believe that a browser extension is a safer way to use
> org-protocol. With a native messaging helper application it is even
> possible to avoid desktop-wide org-protocol configuration and to call
> emacsclient directly by the add-on but not through links on non-trusted
> web sites.

This is bad news.

17.16.2 The ‘capture’ protocol section of Org manual recommends

       To use this feature, add a bookmark with an arbitrary name, e.g.,
    ‘Org: capture’, and enter this as ‘Location’:

         javascript:location.href='org-protocol://capture?' +
               new URLSearchParams({
                     template: 'x', url: window.location.href,
                     title: document.title, body: window.getSelection()});

With the annoying Firefox dialogue, things get very annoying.
Even though I do understand the motivation of devs.
But they broke bookmarklets :'(

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,