Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Greg Minshall
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 18:30:24 +0300

Ihor,

> That's all nice but what a headache will it be to implement. What will
> 2004-06~ mean for agenda, for example?

i don't know the specific "2004-06~", but i do think that for the agenda
(i assume), being able to express ambiguity to the user will be
important.  as people have pointed out (and it was new to me), future
time-zoned times are not clearly defined as "political" changes (in
daylight savings time definitions, for example) can change the UTC value
of that time.

- it's exactly at this moment of time

- it's almost certainly at this moment of time (i.e., that's today's
  politics), but that may change as we get closer to that date

- it seems like it might be at, or near, this moment of time

i guess the third is what "2004-06~" might mean (i visualize, in
amusement, a very light pink background over all of June, with some
decay function coming earlier into May, later into July :).

yours in favor of ibuprofen!  cheers, Greg