Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 15:14:20 +0700

On 31/01/2023 14:04, Jean Louis wrote:
I have given facts, and references with the sole intention to help in
understanding so that Org programmers do not start relying on UTC
offset alone, as that is not how other programs work.

From my point of view at the beginning you were promoting that Org must use purely UTC timestamps just because PostgreSQL recommends timestamptz type. Now you are insisting that every timestamp must have timezone with rules describing DST and other transitions. In both cases you are doing it with excessive passion. Currently you are arguing with people who have already agreed that location-based timezones are important, e.g. Tim and Thomas. I am in doubts if it is helpful to someone.

P.S.
- There are cases when local time + time zone must be stored.
- There are cases when UTC or UTC + fixed offset must be stored.
- There are cases when UTC or UTC + fixed offset is enough, however time zone can be added.