emacs-tangents

Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2021 01:41:21 -0500

  > I want help them because I don't see how these references cause any
  > damage to the Free Software cause.  Promoting non-free software and
  > inviting users to use it is indeed against our cause, but just telling
  > where it's stored isn't.

Telling people that the package _exists_ is what we want to avoid.

  > I don't think the GNU project is about concealing information.  I hope
  > it isn't.

The information is available to the public without our help, so
we are not concealing it.  But we have no obligation to go out
of our way to spread the word.

  > Not mentioning a program does nothing towards eliminating it,

Actually it does, sometimes.  If we avoid mentioning a program we
avoid recruiting more users for it.  That can eventually contribute to
its elimination.

The point is, it avoids leading people to use that program.
A nonfree program denies freedom to its users.  If we lead a person
to use the nonfree program, we lead per to surrender freedom to it.
Therefore we try to avoid that.

--
Dr Richard Stallman