emacsconf-org

Re: Volunteer update 2022-11-07: Caption notes, dry run, workflow update

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: Re: Volunteer update 2022-11-07: Caption notes, dry run, workflow updates
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 12:15:09 -0500

Hello, jman!

Thanks for stepping up! You won't need to configure any of that stuff, you can just connect via VNC and work with the setup we've got on res.emacsconf.org. =) Of course, if you want to challenge yourself further and set up OBS on your local system for even more control, you're welcome to do so. I've emailed off-list to set up an onboarding session.

- How many (if any) additional streaming remote volunteers setups are estimated to be needed?
   - However many want to help out, since that means people can take breaks instead of being glued to their computers all day. =) As mentioned previously, we'll pencil you in for Sunday afternoon on the gen stream. If you happen to feel pretty confident about things, you're welcome to handle Saturday afternoon on the gen stream as well, or Corwin can continue doing it.
- Is the above streaming setup finalized?
   - We'll probably go with OBS on res.emacsconf.org for the gen stream to make it easier for streaming volunteers to connect to. bandali has lots of experience broadcasting online conferences, so he plans to do the dev stream from his computer.
- Is the above the streaming setup for conf. organizers and also volunteers?
   - The notes at https://emacsconf.org/2022/organizers-notebook/#streaming should mostly cover the volunteer's stuff now that I've figured out much of the infrastructure =)
- If it's the required setup for volunteers, when will they be able to install and test it? Will there be a plan for a bit of training/mentoring and check-up of effective capabilities of the remote setups?
  - If we're lucky and the VNC setup works well, all you need is a VNC client (and maybe a cheat sheet to help you work with i3wm, since it's a bit different as a window manager). There are probably gaps in the notes I've written, so I'll be happy to go over them with you on Wednesday as we help you get set up.

Sacha Chua - sacha@sachachua.com - Blog: sachachua.com

On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 9:53 AM jman <emacsconf-org@city17.xyz> wrote:

hi, amazing to read the progress!

> - We did a dry run of the OBS streaming setup with Leo, Amin, and
>   Corwin. I think we're on track to being able to broadcast two
>   streams this year.

Since I voluntereed for helping with the streaming, I'd like to do a
check up on the topic after reading the organizer's notebook at
https://emacsconf.org/2022/organizers-notebook

If I understand correctly the streaming setup is detailed here:
https://emacsconf.org/2022/organizers-notebook/#streaming, will run on
OBS and involves configuring local services like nginx and a VNC
server.

There are a couple of things I am still a bit unclear about:
- How many (if any) additional streaming remote volunteers setups are estimated to
be needed?
- Is the above streaming setup finalized?
- Is the above the streaming setup for conf. organizers and also
volunteers?
- If it's the required setup for volunteers, when will they be able to
install and test it? Will there be a plan for a bit of training/mentoring and
check-up of effective capabilities of the remote setups?

Hope my questions are making sense, thanks for your feedback :)

regards,