emacsconf-org

Status update: harvesting Q&As and non-recorded talks

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: Status update: harvesting Q&As and non-recorded talks
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 20:53:54 -0500

Hi everyone!

We're now in the harvesting phase of the conference, where we work on
collecting the ideas that people shared in the Q&A sessions as well as
any talks that were not available as pre-recorded videos. It's a great
way to help speakers get stuff out of their heads and into a form we
can all learn from. =)

Status of talks and Q&A sessions:

- All talks except for the new version of grail should now be
  available at https://media.emacsconf.org/2022/ and on talk pages
- Links to the BBB playbacks and to the various BBB resources (--bbb-*
  for each talk) are now in the backstage area for speakers and/or
  volunteers to review
- RMS Q&A audio has been uploaded (--questions.ogg)
- grail talk will be reuploaded by the speaker
- IRC logs have been copied to the backstage area; see the links at
  the top of the backstage area
- Etherpads and BBB text chats have been converted to Markdown and
  included on the talk pages

Here's a good/better/best scale for stuff we can do during this phase:

- Good:
  - Look at IRC logs at the top of the backstage area and copy
    anonymized questions/answers/feedback to the wiki pages as well,
    if they weren't already on the page
    - Somewhat manual because of overlapping conversations; might be
      easier to have one volunteer do all the talks in one shift
      (Saturday morning gen, Saturday morning dev, Saturday afternoon
      gen, etc.), so you can e-mail to call dibs if you like. We
      usually remove names from the public log as well. Most of the
      conversations should be in the track-specific channels, but some
      might have ended up in #emacsconf as well. You can check the
      talk page to see if the questions are already there. If you're
      already set up to edit the wiki or you can figure out the
      slightly complicated setup for editing, feel free to edit the
      page directly. If not, you can email a Markdown or Org Mode
      snippet to emacsconf-submit@gnu.org and let me know what page to
      put it on.
- Better:
  - Review the BBB recording to check if there's anything that needs
    to be deleted from the recording before we publish it so that
    people can listen to things themselves; publish the recording or
    excerpts of it
    - Might be easier with the transcript, but can also be done
      without one. asmblox, async, buttons, dbus, detached, and eshell
      have --bbb-webcams.vtt as the autogenerated Whisper transcripts.
- Even better than that:
  - Make chapter markers for the Q&A recording so that people can jump
    to the question they're particularly interested in. You can write
    them in the form:
    mm:ss text goes here
    mm:ss more text
    and I can turn those into chapter headings.
- Totally awesome:
  - Edited captions/transcripts for the Q&A
  - Answers copied into the Q&A section, possibly with linked timestamps

I'm planning to send thank-you notes to the speakers with the links to
the Q&A on their public talk pages, the YouTube and Toobnix videos, and
the BBB playback of their Q&A session (if any), so they can help us
review it in case they remembered, say, accidentally leaking passwords
or discussing something they want to keep private. I'll probably send it
this weekend. =)

In the meantime, if people want to help copy snippets from the IRC logs
to the talk pages or review the Q&A transcripts so far
(--bbb-webcams.vtt in the backstage), feel free to
reply with the shift/talk you're interested in!

Sacha