Re: [emms-help] emms-playing-time.el

From: Jorgen Schaefer
Subject: Re: [emms-help] emms-playing-time.el
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:49:12 +0200

William XWL <address@hidden> writes:

> Jorgen Schaefer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> William XWL <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Calculating it now and then to update the playing time?
>>
>> Daniel was right - just store the start time. When you have to
>> display the run time, you can use the difference between the
>> current time and the start time.
>
> But current-time always moves forward, no matter Emms is blocked by Gnus
> or not. So the difference is still wrong..

In _most_ cases, this is the right thing: The player Emms uses is
a separate process, and won't be bothered by Gnus. (Restarting
with a new song doesn't work, but that's something we have to live
with)

I would agree with Daniel here that the right approach is to
ignore the problem---the real solution would be to query the play
time from the player, which is difficult at best.

For pausing etc., you'd need to remember the duration of that as
well, using the same method.

Greetings,
        -- Jorgen

--
((email . "address@hidden") (www . "http://www.forcix.cx/";)
 (gpg   . "1024D/028AF63C")   (irc . "nick forcer on IRCnet"))