Re: [emms-help] More sort functions?

From: Yoni Rabkin Katzenell
Subject: Re: [emms-help] More sort functions?
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 17:03:35 +0300

William Xu <address@hidden> writes:

> How about adding more playlist sort functions? Such as, sort by title,
> artist, name, year, etc. In a word, i'd like a similar sort interface as
> in `ibuffer'.

[snip]

Sounds great.

How does aggregating all the sorting functions into their own file
sound? The proposed file can replace the now defunct emms-pl-manip.el
file (I don't approve of the name emms-pl-manip.el anyway and would
gladly see it gone).

> Also, i'm trying to write sort of `(define-emms-source advanced-find
> (dir attribute regex))', which allows me to find files matched by artist
> or title, etc. But i met some difficulties in retrieving files' info,
> since they were `later-do'. Any hints?

You will have to go though n tracks in any case. I would try not to look
at the files' tag more than once, which means waiting for whatever the
user chose to do with info and only then processing the results. Not a
happy prospect.

As I understand it you are looking for the Google approach; don't
organise, search.

The user might have disabled info all together, is using info with
`later-do', using info without `later-do' or loading the tracks from a
saved playlist.