Re: [emms-help] Album artist grouping in emms-browser

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Album artist grouping in emms-browser
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 11:40:35 -0500

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

>> After that open the playlist, and you can see how track metadata are
>> extracted one-by-one with speed of something like 10 tracks per
>> second.
>
> Wow, it's more like 2 tracks per second here on my machine :(
> Am I doing something wrong?
>
>> Fortunately caching is (or should be) done only once.  MPD users are
>> also lucky because they can populate the cache from MPD in an instant.
>
> Is there any drawback in using MPD?  I actually wonder if MPD shouldn't
> be the natural backend for EMMS.  Re-implementing caching and metadata
> extraction seems like re-inventing the wheel.

There shouldn't be such a thing as a preferred backend for Emms. Since
Emms is potentially taken wherever Emacs goes, and Emacs goes
everywhere, Emms should remain as modular and flexible as possible in
this regard.

This isn't to say that we can't have excellent MPD support, but that
supporting any one backend shouldn't ever be at the expense of another.

I also acknowledge that this means that we would be reimplementing bits
and pieces of functionality and that the reimplementation may be
sub-par. But my stance is that it is a price worth paying for the
overall goal of supporting all of the free media playing software we
can.