Re: [emms-help] tag editor and mp3

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: [emms-help] tag editor and mp3
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 20:01:05 +0100

I confirm the issue.  It works for ogg and flacbut not for mp3.
The issue can be validated by emms-print-metadata as well!

Default value of `emms-tag-editor-tagfile-functions':

(("mp3" "mp3info"
        ((info-artist . "a")
         (info-title . "t")
         (info-album . "l")
         (info-tracknumber . "n")
         (info-year . "y")
         (info-genre . "g")
         (info-note . "c")))
 ("ogg" . emms-tag-editor-tag-ogg)
 ("flac" . emms-tag-editor-tag-flac))

From the mp3info(1) man page:

       Only ID3 versions 1.0 and 1.1 are supported.  ID3V2 is a much more pow‐
       erful standard and is planned for some as-yet-undetermined future  ver‐
       sion.  Unfortunately, a clean implementation is a heck of a lot of work
       and I'm unbelievably lazy, so don't hold your breath.  It  is  probably
       worth noting at this juncture, however, that I do accept patches.  :-)

So here is your issue.  mp3info is severely obsolete.

Possible replacements:

- ffmpeg which supports almost every format, but as of recently it did
  not support in-place tagging, which makes it quite slow.

- taglib: Supports many formats _and_ supports in-place tagging.  Its C
  bindings are very limited (only a few fields are allowed), the more
  complete bindings are in C++.  Since EMMS now builds emms-print-info
  against the C++ bindings, this is no more an issue.

- I rolled out my own tool a while back:

        https://ambrevar.bitbucket.io/demlo/
        https://github.com/Ambrevar/demlo

        It is an overpowered, fully-scriptable music library organizer, so that
        would more than suit our needs on that end.  Note however that Demlo is
        based on taglib's C bindings and fallbacks to FFmpeg when unsupported
        tags cannot be set by taglib.

My suggestion: Release a minimalist commandline tool (e.g. taglib-edit
or emms-set-metadata) that can set _any tag in-place_.

If we make such a tool, it would become replace both ffmpeg and taglib
as a tagger in Demlo.

If we don't because it's too hard / too much work, then either we
fall back on ffmpeg or Demlo.

Or does anyone know a better tool for tagging?

--
Pierre Neidhardt