Re: Can not play music with emms

From: Stanislav Vlasov
Subject: Re: Can not play music with emms
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 17:54:25 +0200

Thank you, Mike! The solution for me was just `emms-cache-reset'. See below.

Kind regards,
Stas

Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 17:04:24 +0200
> Stanislav Vlasov <s.vlasov@uvt.nl> wrote:
>
>> Thank you for looking into this, Mike!
>>
>> This is what I am trying to do to start the music:
>>
>> M-x emms-add-directory-tree
>> ;; set "/path/to/music"
>>
>> *Messages*: EMMS: All track information loaded.
>>
>> M-x emms
>> ;; presents list of files in "/path/to/music"
>>
>> RET
>> *Messages*: emms-player-mpv ipc-error: error running command
>> RET
>> RET
>> RET
>> ;; does not play:(
>>
>> Looks like it indeed treats files (actually both .mp3 and .flac) as
>> playlist. Running mpv on file from terminal works normally (i.e., it plays).
>>
>> (emms-playlist-current-selected-track) ;; C-x C-e
>> ;; returns
>> (*track* (type . playlist) (name . "/path/to/music/song.mp3") (last-played
>> 24280 41855 294643 251000) (play-count . 1))
>
> Afraid I don't know what can happen to add tracks like that via
> emms-add-directory-tree - as far as I can tell it always runs
> "(emms-track 'file file)" to create tracks, where 'file is always
> passed as type.
> Don't think anything should change this track type afterwards either.
>
> Simpliest way to debug where it comes from might be to add logging to
> emms-track-set, like this:
>
>   (defun emms-track-set (track name value)
>     (message "-- emms set: %S %S %S" track name value)
>     (emms-dictionary-set track name value)
>     (when emms-cache-modified-function
>       (funcall emms-cache-modified-function track)))
>
> You can eval that via same C-j, then make sure it logs something
> setting type to 'playlist when adding track.

Well, I did not get any messages. Apparently every file on my disk was cached
as playlist. I think I just called `emms-add-playlist-directory-tree' on a
whole disk at some point by mistake instead of `emms-add-directory-tree'.

Everything is playing now after I `M-x emms-cache-reset'. La-la!