Re: looking forward to Emms 6.0

From: Petteri Hintsanen
Subject: Re: looking forward to Emms 6.0
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 23:23:30 +0300

Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:

> * Find a suitable replacement for emms-print-metadata as a way to access
>   taglib. A current candidate is installing pytaglib.

I have been playing with a bit orthogonal solution to this, namely
writing a native elisp implementation to extract tags from Ogg Vorbis
files and feed them to EMMS.  Please find a prototype attached.  It is
really just a proof-of-concept code, but it does the job and is
surprisingly efficient: throughput seems to be around 30 files per
second.  I have a bit less than 3000 ogg files and it takes about 1 min
20 sec to parse all of them.  (Be aware that this is an extremely
unscientific benchmark.)

It would be straightforward to extend the code to handle Opus and maybe
even ID3v2 (MP3).  Then we could have a native parser for common free
formats and dispatch other formats (or otherwise unparseable files) to
third-party tools like exiftool.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Petteri