Re: emms-info-native

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: emms-info-native
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2021 14:40:36 -0500

Petteri Hintsanen <petterih@iki.fi> writes:

> Dear list,
>
> I just pushed a new branch ‘info-native’ into emms repo.  It implements
> a new info method ‘emms-info-native’ for Vorbis, Opus and FLAC files.
> This method is "native" in the sense that it implemented in plain Emacs
> Lisp and hence does not require any external programs or libraries.  The
> naming is perhaps a bit misleading, but I couldn’t figure out a better
> one, sorry.  Suggestions welcome.
>
> Please give it a try, especially with Opus files (which I do not have)
> and also with files that have big metadata chunks like cover art (which
> I also don’t have).  There are rudimentary protections against malicious
> inputs that may get triggered in these cases.  Please let me know of any
> issues you encounter.
>
> I’m planning to add support for ID3v2 (MP3s) later.
>
> Thanks and season’s greetings to everyone,
> Petteri

A preliminary test with the limited files I have here looks good.

Since the diff between the main and info-native branches is only
emms-info-native (and version numbers), can you please merge the work
you have done so far in info-native into the main branch?

We can keep info-native for you to continue development, but I want
everyone who gets a copy of the main branch to also have
emms-info-native.el.

Thanks!