Re: Associating artwork with native playlists?

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: Associating artwork with native playlists?
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 18:33:40 -0400

Alexandre Rogers <alexandre.rogers@posteo.net> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Could it be possible to associate artwork with native playlists? It
> would be nice to be able to get network streams, such as webradios,
> displayed with an image in the browser.

I see no reason not to display network streams in the browser, and to
associate images with them to boot.

The artwork would have to be mostly user-supplied, and we need to come
up with a way of pairing an image with a specific stream.

Perhaps each stream can generate a short hash which we can turn into a
filename ("DK2RSK3DEU.png"). Then the browser could check for the
existence of "~/.emacs.d/emms/stream_images/DK2RSK3DEU.png" and cache
that.

If we can get people like Soma.FM to give us copies of their per-stream
artwork under a freedom-respecting license, then we could ask the FSF
(as copyright holder of Emms) for permission to ship that artwork along
with Emms (without Soma.FM assigning copyright). Otherwise, we would
provide instructions for the user to do so independently.

> Also - and I am news to Emms, so please excuse me if my question is
> silly - but I haven't found any documentation regarding native
> playlists. I have tried adding new ones by mimicking the syntax of those
> installed by `emms-streams', but I am unsure as to what I can customise.

A native Emms playlist has two parts: a header string as defined by
`emms-source-playlist-native-header-line', followed by writing out the
sexp representation of the tracks.

So if you where to look at how a track is represented by invoking
(emms-playlist-track-at (point)) over a playlist track, you'll find that
same sexp written out if you save the playlist in native format to a
file.

> Thank you very much for your work,

Thank you for writing in to improve Emms.