Re: Playing over ssh

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: Playing over ssh
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 09:00:52 +1000

Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@gmail.com> writes:

On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 10:08:26 -0400
Greg Farough <gregf@gnu.org> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 27 2021, Yuchen Pei <hi@ypei.me> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to "get or create" the feature to play over ssh, > which could
> be something like
> (emms-add-ssh ssh://user@host/path/to/media/file), where the > same > scheme is used by git when for ssh remote.
This would be a neat feature. In lieu of one like it, I'm just
dropping into say that I use sshfs and dired for this, and it works
well.

Yeah, same here, sftp (sshfs) is a great filesystem protocol,
been using it instead of nfs/smb/cifs for more than a decade now,
and would highly recommend to check it out instead.

Actually the sftp scheme does work OOTB with emms:

(emms-add-url "sftp://user@host/path/to/media_file";)

turns out the emms-add-url is more universal than I thought and I can use it to add paths with a whole lot of different schemes (even file:// for local files), so I don't really need any other emms-add-foo at all!

Thanks.

--
Best,
Yuchen

PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0
          <https://ypei.me/assets/ypei-pubkey.txt>