Re: Making Emms better out of the box

From: Fran Burstall (Gmail)
Subject: Re: Making Emms better out of the box
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 17:25:35 +0100

One issue around getting started is that there are really two ways to interact with emms.

1. Behave like most other music-players (rhythmbox, clementine, banshee...): start with a lengthy scan of a music directory tree to populate a database (rhythmbox and friends) or cache (emms).  Then build and play playlists from the browser.

2. Dive straight in: emms-play-file/directory/playlist etc.  This way, which provides instant gratification, seems under-documented/advertised at least according to this Emacs SX question:

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/72852/how-to-load-previously-saved-emms-playlists

This is utterly a documentation issue but probably the first step is to decide which interaction style is to be preferred, if any!

---Fran