issue tracking options

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: issue tracking options
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 17:33:18 -0500

Emms has never had an issue/bug/feature tracker. But I want people to be
able to see what issues are currently being addressed, and the
direction/s Emms is going.

The Savannah issue tracker is Web-based, old, clunky, and centralized. I
have no intention in using it, and I certainly don't want to force
others to deal with what I don't want to deal with.

I think that we can manage with a git repo which contains an issue list
as a text file: bullet-proof, fast, doesn't require a web browser,
decentralized, in-line with the way Emms itself is being developed.

However, I don't think that Savannah will allow me to open a separate
git repo; they only have two per-project, and the other one is for the
site (and runs CVS... oof.)

My current options are different flavors of kludge:

I. Manage the issue list in its own separate branch "issues", which will
have an "issues" directory with stuff in it. This way, people who just
pull a version of Emms don't need to see it if they don't want to.

II. Manage the issue list as a file in the "doc" directory in the main
branch, similar to the developer-release.txt file.

III. Open a project on sourcehut to manage the list.

(I) and (II) have the upside of other developers having immediate access
to the list. (III) has the upside of keeping the code clean.

What do people think?