enigma-devel

Re: [Enigma-devel] Some patches and wishlist items

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Some patches and wishlist items
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 18:20:08 +0200

Erich Schubert <address@hidden> wrote:

> Debian has lua 4.1 already, which enigma doesn't build with.
> The included lua works, I don't like including lua with enigma.
> Especially since the lua build process of the included lua is not
> nice.

I'd much prefer to remove Lua from the tarball.  The build process is
in fact ugly and I'm loth to properly autoconfify it.  On the other
hand, including Lua has the big advantage of making it easier for others
to give Enigma a test run.  I personally hate having to track down and
install ten obscure libraries just to try out some piece of software.
Which takes me to...

> So it would be nice to get enigma working with lua 4.1, and remove the
> lua source from the tarball - after all lua is used by some more apps.

As much as I love Debian, I don't think many other distributions include
packages for lua, much less for an alpha release.  Switching to Lua 4.1
is certainly a good idea once it's available as a stable release, but
until then I'd rather stick with 4.0.

But you're right about removing lua from the tarball. I will do this for
the next release.

> you have on the TODO list:
> . include debian package information
> which usually is not recommended to include. Keep it separate, because
> people probably won't agree with your preferences for building.

Ah, I didn't know about that.  Thanks for the hint, I might have wasted
some time otherwise.

> Here are some small diffs for your Makefiles, that allow building
> into a separate tree [...]

I applied them to my sources. Thanks a lot.

> Gruss,
> Erich Schubert

Gruesse,
Daniel