enigma-devel

[Enigma-devel] New levels / Various

From: Ralf Westram
Subject: [Enigma-devel] New levels / Various
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:59:10 +0100

Hi developers,

first of all I want to thank you for the really great game!

I've played a little bit Oxyd more than 10 years ago, but didn't get
addicted to. That's impossible when using Enigma. :)

Just uploaded 2 Enigma levels to the patch
area[1] - comments and criticism on these are welcome. Level "Ibiza!" is
some kind of design study initially inspired by "Magritte" (one of my
favorites).

When I took a first look into one of the lua-files I was really
overwhelmed by the power this level-format provides for designing
levels.

Some days ago there was a short discussion about a new level format
and I've read it with worries, because it looks like you want to drop
the current format.

I don't think that's a good idea. Why not use two kinds of formats:
One simple format for level editors and the current lua-format for
more sophisticated levels?

Ok - now to found fleas and wanted features:

* When Enigma crashes it doesn't save enigmarc.lua (or .enigmarc) -
regardless how many levels you've finished before the crash. A good
idea would be to save it every time when a level has been finished.
For me it's no problem - I know how to use an editor, but for an
average user it's really annoying and demotivating.

* I'm missing a hotkey or button in the menu to jump to next
_unsolved_ level.

* I think, when old levels got updated in a new Enigma version, the
solved-state of these levels should be reset to unsolved.

* When the level-code of a level is broken during design, you don't
see any error message (and I did not find any file containing
messages). The level simply doesn't start, so I had to comment out
line by line to find the error. boring... :)

* ALT-Enter does not work with Win98SE, I need to change options and
restart enigma.

Thanks again for adapting this great game

bye
Ralf

[1]
http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?func=detailpatch&patch_id=1190&group_id=1646

--
Computers make very fast, very accurate mistakes.