enigma-devel

Re: [Enigma-devel] enigmarc.lua vs. Registry on Win32

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] enigmarc.lua vs. Registry on Win32
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 17:46:19 +0100

Martin Hawlisch wrote:

> On Windows this config is located in the folder where enigma is
> installed, because there is no environment variable HOME on Windows
> (by default) and ~ does not work either.

What *exactly* is the problem with this?

> > We have got two approaches to solve this issue:
> > a) Retrieve the proper Application Data folder.
> > b) Use the Windows Registry to save the settings.
> > a) is easy to implement but needs to be done
> > b) is done and working fine for me under Wine.
> > If there is no concern about using the registry I'll commit my patch
> > in a few days.

Wouldn't it easier to store the application directory in the registry
than to store every configuration setting in it?  Adding new options is
enough of a hassle already (one change in options.hh, two more in
options.cc), I would prefer to not make it still more complicated.

But maybe I simply do not see your point?

> I think it's better to use a file because:
>
> - this survives windows re-installations

Good point :-)

- Daniel

--
Daniel Heck                             address@hidden