enigma-devel

Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma on Mac OS X

From: Johannes Fortmann
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma on Mac OS X
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 22:51:21 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 22.05.03 um 09:04 Uhr schrieb Daniel Heck:

Mac-arena wrote:

your development page says:

        We've had many request for a version that runs under MacOS (not
        OS X).

why not Mac OS X? Oxyd was released for Classic Mac OS, some years
ago - there isn't much point in making another one. a Mac OS X
version, however, would be very cool.

There already _is_ an Enigma port to OS X, see the download page.  An
updated version will appear in the next few days; Johannes updated it
almost two weeks ago, but I've been having problems with SSH, so I
wasn't able to upload it so far.

you could make it using Carbon and compile it in CodeWarrior or MPW
(the latter only runs on Classic Mac OS, btw) as a PEF (CFM)
application instead of Mach-O. it would then run on both Classic Mac
OS and Mac OS X. if you did this, the Carbon version would require at
least Mac OS 8.6 with CarbonLib, possibly higher (9.0 or 9.1) if you
used functions new to those versions.

So far no one has ventured building a Carbon version of Enigma and no
one with access to MPW or CodeWarrior offered to do so.  I'm no Mac
user, so I have no idea whether it would be worthwhile (or even
feasible).  I think Johannes once mentioned that Enigma wouldn't run on
Classic Macs anyway because they don't have a 640x480 video mode.

Not Classic Macs, but Mac Classics: the Classic was an integrated Macintosh (like the iMac) with a 9" screen and a native resolution of 512x384. A friend of mine has one, and we played Oxyd on it (together with a IIcx). http://images.google.de/images?q=macintosh+classic Funky games for the classic also included Snoopy; http://snoopy2.sourceforge.net/ . Enough of the shameless plugs.

I just sent the new OS X version to MetalSnake for testing; the last one had a stupid bug, because I hadn't defined MACOSX while compiling. To remove the bright seams, I hardcoded the colour depth to 32 bit, which messed up the colour keys for images which are loaded from 24-bit pngs. So I converted them all to 8-bit. They seem to be 8-bit in the newest CVS, anyway.

On the topic of porting to Classic Mac OS:
a) I don't have CodeWarrior. Said friend has CodeWarrior, but it's version 0.003, i.e. old. I guess that porting Enigma with that would be even more of a pain than with MPW. b) MPW. Don't get me started. I have heard that people paid lots'n lots of money for this. I don't believe it. On the other hand, Linux is a free UNIX clone, which people paid lots'n lots of money for, so... It's basically a command line replacement for Macintosh, which would be a good thing, if only it was a standard posix-like command line.
I guess that it would be possible to port Enigma, but you'd have to
1) rename all files. MPW doesn't understand .cc. It doesn't understand the concept of file-types-by-extension either, so you have to set type and creator (old Mac file type metadata), but it understands enough to die if your sources are called .cc. Grrrr. 2) compile lua, SDL, SDL_image, SDL_mixer in MPW. This can be done, and I believe I have done it, but it wasn't easy.
3) compile STL. This is where I'm hanging.
4) compile&port Enigma. Unknown problems en masse.

Compiling STL under MPW doesn't seem a job for the weak of heart, or not-utterly-extremely-severely bored. Feel free to try it, but I guess that this would be a major undertaking, after which you'll have learned a whole lot of useless stuff about a dead OS.

Okay, till then,
Johannes