enigma-devel

Re: [Enigma-devel] xscreensaver

From: Tacvek
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] xscreensaver
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 15:38:48 -0500

IIRC, mplayer etc. do the same. I don't know of a
better way.

Well, the xscreensaver faq recommends:
"""
If you are the author of DVD-playing software:

* Here's how you can prevent xscreensaver from kicking in while a movie is playing: once a minute have a timer go off. In that timer, do something like this:

   if (playing && !paused) {
     system ("xscreensaver-command -deactivate >&- 2>&- &");
   }
Though it would be better to code this using fork() and execvp() instead of system().

* The reason to do this with a timer (instead of turning the screensaver off and then on again in some other way) is so that if your program crashes, you're guarenteed that the screensaver will not be left in a permanently disabled state.

* If you think this is ``too inefficient,'' you're mistaken. (You haven't actually timed it, have you? I didn't think so.) """