enigma-devel

Re: [Enigma-devel] Scroll mode problem

From: Draknek
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Scroll mode problem
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:18:01 +0100

> Why do you make it a question of which scroll mode is
> more globally reasonable when I'm asking for the option
> for the designer of the level to choose which is more
> reasonable in a particular level?

My 2 cents:

You're looking at it from the perspective of a level designer.

However, you need to look at it from the perspective of the player.
Removing the one-column overlap means that you can't see what the
square is that you're about to move into.

Sure, you as the level designer might know that the next square is
perfectly safe, but the player doesn't know that. The next screen
might be filled with pits, and he'd never know.

When you're designing any interface, you need to make it consistent,
and you need to make it, for lack of a better word, friendly. I think
that removing the overlap goes against both these points.

Disclaimer: I haven't looked at the example level you provided; this
is just my gut reaction to the idea.