enigma-devel

Re: [Enigma-devel] Maemo Port for Nokia Internet Tablets - memory footpr

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Maemo Port for Nokia Internet Tablets - memory footprint
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 23:00:05 +0100

Hi,

Till Harbaum wrote:
just to get you some numbers: The device has 256MB of main flash memory of which 100 are occupied at delivery. The remaining mem is (pipeline sais its compressed) used for user installed applications and data. The n800 comes with an empty internal sd card slot which nearly all users fill with a decent card, at least the 128MB card included with the n800. The n810 has no physical internal slot but a hard wired internal 2GB card.

So memory isn't immediately a problem, but moving stuff to the internal memory card may especially help users who install lots of applications.

I don't think we should remove sounds or levels packs (besides the development one of course, which is part of my package). And the thumbnails: They are useful and i wouldn't want to remove them. Caliculating them on the fly is rather slow on the arm cpu. So removing their caches will be quite annoying.

I already have removed the entire doc tree (which reminds me to check if there's stuff that must be installed like e.g. licenses).

Please do not remove anything from the source - just keep it out of the installer package. I will explain this strategy in another mail.

The following parts are the only relevant ones to reduce the memory footprint:

1. Iinstall gfx32 only - skip gfx16,40,48,64
2. Zip all levelpacks for the installer
3. Use 60x39 thumbnails, scale them to 120x78
4. Strip and compress the executable by upx
5. Title music

I guess this would result in a footprint of 6 MB + 2 MB thumbnails instead of 17 + 4.

Remarks:
1. Install empty dirs - see upcoming mail
2. Should work without code change (see Refman chapter 2.3)
3. I added 60x13 thumbnails for gpx. Just the scaling back to 120x78 is
still missing.
4. upx (http://upx.sourceforge.net/) is used for the Windows installer packages, too
5. just the upcoming one has a significant footprint

Do not remove anything else - keep the diff as simple as possible.

Greets,

Ronald