epsilon-announce

[epsilon-announce] raven mechanics

From: Anthony Frederick
Subject: [epsilon-announce] raven mechanics
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 18:59:38 -0400

My favourite place for reading was the loft behind the yard.
He had a sly, vicious way oftalking:Ere, George! At roll-call orders were topack all kits and be ready to march in twenty minutes.
Donovan went on a new journey every week, and he always madegood. By this time it was evening and getting on towardsdark. It was no use trying forthose colossal brutes with the tackle I had. Most of the things I used to care for would leave mesomething more than cold. Finally we made her understand and got a needle from her. One chap had some darning needles, but they were too thick and hadblunt ends.
That and telling the kids, No, they cant have a new sandbucket.
He made gestures which were supposed to represent sewing.
I cured myself of dropping aitchesand got rid of most of my Cockney accent.
He ate his way solemnly through his tea anddidnt talk much. I dont exaggerate when I say it wasenormous. I knew Iwasnt going to remain a grocers assistant for ever, I was merelylearning the trade.
We didnt have any tools except jack-knives, and we burned our fingers badly.
I was the errand boy for my first six months. I havent such detailedmemories of grocering as I have of fishing, but I remember a gooddeal. He couldnt understandwhat was happening to him. Wed got the essentials now, but we could do with some gut.
A winter day, just warm enough to lie still.
Lorna sidled up to me and asked inthat silly pert way she has, Are you a baby, Daddy? Surgical gut wasnt part of his equipment, butit was just possible that he might have some.
Mother, you heard what I got to say lastnight. Andyet, in the two years or so that I went fishing there, how manytimes did I really go, I wonder?
We might stay there a week, we might marchoff in two hours.