epsilon-announce

[epsilon-announce] sounding board

From: Mathilda Lester
Subject: [epsilon-announce] sounding board
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 20:29:04 -0000

She was all done up in furs, with a scarf over her head,but I saw her eyes, and then I was sure.
I promised an old friend of yours to give you amessage, if I ever ran across you. Niel felt that he musthelp her, or at least try to. Peters is my lawyer and my tenant; Ihave to see him, and Im certainly not going to his office.
They areall boys you know, and if you dont like them, you ought to! They rummaged through the linen closet to findmore sheets, pried about in the attic and cellar. When she came, she took Niels arm and led him into the dining-room.
Ogdens position, he understood, was a difficult one.
He didnt look aday older; one eye was still direct and clear, the other cloudedand oblique.
It was already gone, that age; nothingcould ever bring it back.
People said he was rich, but quarrelsome and rather stingy.
I would like it myself, and itis better to be doing something. Im a mining engineer,I spent some time in Buenos Ayres. Then you do attendto his business for the present?
Youve got a safe thingat last, I should think; safe and pasty! His sister Annie was in the kitchen, helping thehostess. Its all Ihave, and if I leave it to tenants it will run down, and I cantsell it to advantage.
Forrester had the old-fashioned notion that men should bealone after dinner. Thank you, Niel, thank you, Tom, he often said when they liftedhim into his chair.
Unless I keep the place up, I can never get my price for it. All those platters andcovered dishes stuck away with the tarnish of years on them!
Adolph just brought themto the kitchen door. Hestayed at the camp until I could begin to walk, holding to his arm. And I will plant some of his ownrose-bushes beside it.
Forrester, sitting in his uncles desk chair, tapped thecarpet with the toe of her rubber boot. The men took turns carrying her, hugging the canyonwalls with their shoulders as they crept along. When they came to sit out the nightwith him, she turned the house over to them.