epsilon-announce

[epsilon-announce] skater

From: Violet Friedman
Subject: [epsilon-announce] skater
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:39:33 -0400

In this, more than in anything else, Eugene saw the final disintegration of his family. And Eliza, confused and disturbed, would answer: Why, child! Eugene was a great man on the campus of the little university. The great wild pattern of the family had been brokenforever. He was always afraid that some one would make a joke about him, andthat he would be laughed at. He will bear me out and praise me, for I am measuredagainst this peasant earth. Mercifully the train began to move: he kissed them quickly and randown the aisle.
Von Zeck, the wealthy patroness of the arts, sends a genius or twooff to New York to study. Then, with a bitterlaugh, he said, Friends!
He felt that the passions of the play were greaterthan the actors.
The stunned peasants face with its blink of effort. Then they would ask him where his friends were. He felt a desperate frustration, as if he were being shut out fromthe rich banquet of life. Then, with a bitterlaugh, he said, Friends!
Thats a name he may be worthy of, said Vergil Weldon seriously. Hes got to have good food and decent treatment. He was afraid to let people walk behind him. Everywhere life was returning,awaking, reviving.
Youve had the best education money can buy. With victorious joy, Eugene thought of theflowers above Bens grave.
Theyd like to say it, if they dared,just to hurt me. Well, son, said Gant, the rest is up to you now. In twenty years it would make our nation the proud centre ofcivilization and the arts. Ill talk to you in a few days when I see you at home, saidEugene.
Our wives, our mothers,and our sisters expect it of us.
He was wild with ecstasy because the Spring had beaten death.
He listened to their shout of laughter; he saw their pleased facesturn back on him. In five yearsit would do away with divorce and re-establish the prestige of thehome. A stick, said Eugene, is not only wood but the negation of wood.
Eliza devotedmost of her time to real estate.