fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Beta 1 out

From: Niklas Lindström
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Beta 1 out
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 16:02:28 +0200

Hi Jeff,

nice progress! I just ran it and have some sketchy remarks (a bit
short on time, so do request for more details if this is a blur):

1. It seems the old issue I had with a command failing to return
("tomcat start") is in 0.9b1 but not on master (provided "git-checkout
0.9b1" switches to that and "git-checkout master" switches back, which
is how I tested this).

2. I cannot use --roles=<roles> or -R<roles>, but
<command>:roles=<roles> and @roles works..

3. I have to decorate commands with @roles even if they only call
other commands that are already decorated with @roles. Is this
intentional/hard to fix? (I haven't dabbled much with roledefs etc
before). Example::

    @roles('main')
    def deploy_main(): ...

    @roles('main') # <-- should I need this?
    def main_all():
        package_main()
        deploy_main()

4. A thing which worked in the old fabric 0.1, was to call another
function which sets ``env.hosts`` (actually, I think it only worked
via @depends). Thus, with::

    def setup_a():
        env.hosts = ['localhost']
    def ls_a():
        setup_a(); run("ls")

, when I do "fab ls_a", Fabric prompts me for host. (I really don't
need this right now when I use roles though..)

5.  `fabric.contrib.files.exists` fails intermittently (on an ubuntu
server). I get the feeling it fails to capture the result "in time" or
something.. Instead, I use ::

        exists = lambda path: not run("test -d %s" % path).failed

That's all for now.

Best regards,
Niklas