fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Fabric parameter to load fabfile.py recursive (up in fol

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Fabric parameter to load fabfile.py recursive (up in folders)
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 12:37:10 -0500

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 8:01 AM, Domen Kožar <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello @2010!

\o/

> Here is what I think multi-fab behaviour needs:
> - easy (no boiler-plate code) integration between fabfiles
> - less or no magic
> - covers most use cases + scaling
> - be Python
> - override-able with parameter or/and default off
>
> First four are hard to achieve, but there is always an compromise. I
> think this should be thought through very carefully.

Agreed. As I said -- it's often a sliding scale with convenience/magic
on one side and more-work/Pythonic on the other. Will have to see!

> Another solution that seems more clean (and maybe opens Fabric's snippet
> share) is to create an "fabric.snippets" namespace. Together with
> templates for quick development of such packages we would create a wide
> codebase.
> So I would go and use "fabric.snippets.domen" package/module and fill it
> it with functions/environment/whatever.

This sounds a lot like something that came up earlier and was
unresolved, using setuptools.pkg_resources to create this third party
namespace so that one can install and import
"fabric.something.whatever" independently of
fabric.api/fabric.main/etc.

I've cleaned up the "task namespacing" ticket with a mention of that
approach and a link to where I found some discucssion on it; see the
description here:

    http://code.fabfile.org/issues/show/56

So essentially, this issue (ability to load up >1 file's worth of
tasks) touches on a few other semi-related features; we'll have to see
where we end up going on it.

Best,
Jeff

--