fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Testing strategies for fabfiles.

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Testing strategies for fabfiles.
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 21:08:52 -0500

On Nov 13, 2010, at 8:23 PM, Brett Haydon wrote:

> I initially tried to use unittest with fabric but got errors - I think
> related to the stdout, stderr, so then I stuck my testing into a fabfile that
> tests other fabfile functions, but that's gettting a bit unwieldy as it gets
> bigger.
>

> Does anyone have good strategies for unittesting fabfile scripts and
> functions?

I usually just fire up a Rackspace cloud server (@ 1.5 cents/hour i.e.
$10/month) and beat the heck out of it.

When it gets too wonky, I shut it down and fire up a new one.

Unit testing/mocking things like this is more work than just whacking a real
server up, beating the heck out of it, and throwing it away when everything
passes.

HTH,

Stephen F. Steiner
Integrated Development Corporation