fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Makefile like tagets ant rules

From: tav
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Makefile like tagets ant rules
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 22:03:48 +0000

Hey sirex,

> tav, I just looked at your build system. Where all those undefined
> variables comes from? As I understood, your build system works like
> zc.buildout? I didn't find much similarity with Makefile there.

Ah, sorry, my bad for not being clear. I was referring to making the
mechanism behind that build system be more generic, i.e. it already
does dependency chain analysis, mtime comparisons, content hashing
etc. And thus possibly solving both your need — by exposing a more
make-like API — and the usual Chef/Puppet needs.

> So I started implementing some thing similar in Fabfile, where you can
> just run ``fab make`` and it will do only what is needed.

Cool. Looking at your intended API, have you tried waf at all?

* http://code.google.com/p/waf/
* http://waf.googlecode.com/svn/docs/wafbook/single.html

It lets you do things like:

  ctx(rule='wget http://www.python-distribute.org/bootstrap.py',
target='bootstrap.py')

And takes care of running everything in the right order, etc.

--
Hope that helps, tav

plex:espians/tav | address@hidden | +44 (0) 7809 569 369
http://tav.espians.com | http://twitter.com/tav | skype:tavespian