fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Possible issue stacking decorators

From: Corry Haines
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Possible issue stacking decorators
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 17:45:12 -0700

In the test cases that I gave, the "with_settings" case does not work in either arrangement. If task is first, the task is renamed to "inner", and if it is second, no output is produced.

That is the only case I know of where no ordering works.

Thanks,
Corry

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Jeff Forcier <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Corry,

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Corry Haines <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have some fab files that stack decorators, and while trying theĀ name
> spacingĀ feature, I seem to have hit an odd issue.
> Below are some example files, but the basic issue is that some decorators do
> not seem to stack (and order matters).

Well, decorators in general always have an "order matters" behavior,
unfortunately -- since they are not guaranteed to always return the
function they were given.

This is the case with @task -- it wraps the function in a richer task class.

So, it does need to come first/at the top of the list of decorators.
We should probably add this to the docs so it's explicitly obvious.

Please let us know if that doesn't answer the question -- since *most*
of the other decorators don't care about the ordering (other Fab
decorators simply tack attributes onto the functions and return them)
it shouldn't be a problem, per se, to always stick @task at the top.

Best,
Jeff

--