fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] api.run: fatal errors versus exceptions

From: Paul Hoffman
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] api.run: fatal errors versus exceptions
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 12:59:59 -0800

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Jeff Forcier <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Paul Hoffman <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I understand the design here, but it really doesn't work well for
>> systems that are supposed to be automated with no user watching.
>
> For sure; we're always expanding on that front. You should have tried
> this stuff with Fabric 0.1 or 0.9.0...! ;)

No, I shouldn't! :-)

> Another related feature that might interest you is --abort-on-prompts,
> which can at least turn unexpected forever-waiting prompts into
> failures (especially good for headless execution such as buildbots.)

Already using that, definitely. In the system I am writing, two of the
things being checked on remote systems is "don't allow root login with
the default root password" and "check that the default user password
has been changed, and if not change it now". The only way to do that
with Fabric 1.3.x is --abort-on-prompts wrapped in try/except.

> Re: having skip-bad-hosts support skipping past auth failures too, I
> could see us making it more configurable in the future (so one can
> select what classes of failures to skip past) but that's not the
> priority ATM.

Understood. I might be the first person to ask for it, but I think my
use cases (see above) could be useful to others as well. Please do
consider them for the future.

--Paul Hoffman